4.24.2013

Hot Springs and Cold Showers


Jackson Hot Springs- Christmas Day 2012. ~103 degrees in the water and 20 degrees outside. 


This year, instead of the hustle and bustle of the holidays, we got away.  Instead of gifts for one another we spent a couple of days at Jackson Hot Springs.  It was such a wonderful experience.  However, that's not really what I wanted to focus on.  Instead, I'd like to talk about hot/cold hydrotherapy treatments.  See the snow in the first picture?  Several times I got out of the pool, laid in the snow for a minute, and then got back in the pool.  It wasn't exactly a comfortable thing to do, but it felt so great afterwards.  It just gets everything in your body going.  It helps blood circulation and your lymphatic system, as well as giving your immune system a boost.  It is one of the oldest treatments around, but it works!  You don't have to do it with snow and hot springs, though.  You can just alternate the water in your shower.  I know it can be hard to make yourself do, but when I do make myself- I come out of the shower warmer.  And, all that hot water isn't so good for your skin.  My skin looked its best in years the first summer I worked on a farm.  There were several factors at play (lots of sunshine/vitamin D, drinking a lot of water, plenty of exercise), but I also showered right after I got off of work, which meant cool showers because it was 90-110 degrees out.  The cool showers were refreshing, made my skin look good, and saved energy.  There is good information out there about hot/cold treatments if you want to learn more.  And/or, you could just try it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment