2.22.2011

Caramels

So, here's a great way to use some of that homemade butter:

Homemade Caramels!

My husband and I made these at Christmas for gifts, and although they turned out as a hard caramel instead of soft, like I was planning, they were so delicious!

I found the recipe from a 1936 candy making book entitled: "How to Make Candy" by Walter W. Chenoweth.  (good book by the way- taught me a lot)

Honey Caramels
3/4 lb (3/4 cup) brown sugar
1/2 lb (1 cup) granulated sugar
1/2 lb (2/3 c) corn syrup
1/4 lb (1/3 up) honey
1 ounce (2 TBL) butter
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

Procedure: Mix all the materials except the butter and vanilla, and cook by moderate to rapid boiling to approximately 230 degrees F, at which time add the butter and boil slowly to 36-37 degrees F above the temperature of boiling water on the thermometer being used, or to a medium hard ball by the water test.  Remove from the fire, and when the bubbles have subsided stir in the vanilla and pour into a very lightly buttered pan.  When cool remove from pan to cutting board, cut into suitable size pieces and wrap in waxed paper.
*This will give a caramel with a honey flavor and will have good keeping quality.

My notes: I think I overheated it just slightly, which just gave me a harder caramel- much like the conistency of CoffeeNips.  However, because of the different consistency, I had some issues with cutting and packaging.  Everything still turned out fine, but I would recommend waiting until they are COMPLETELY cool to wrap in waxed paper- I was impatient and was rewarded with paper stuck to a few of them.  Paper is edible, though, right? ;)



The bottom line is that these are very yummy, and you should make them- don't be intimidated! 
I'll be trying these again soon, and I will take pictures of the process then.

No comments:

Post a Comment